Upon arrival, we were unable to gain access to our house due to its not being ready and a check in time after 5pm. So we drove around during the hottest day we have had since we have been here. We headed south on rt 12 and left town and once we were out of town, proceeded to turn around. When turning around, we decided to go and check out the ocean. Everyone except Lizzie ended up going in with what they had on. Their was a lot of sea weed, and cars were parked on the beach. Lizzie was worried that cars would be on the beach the whole time. I eased her fears by telling her that this is outside the city limits, so they will not be allowed on the beaches withing the city limits. I was right.
So about 5pm, we loaded our wet selves back into the cars(the cars reek) and went to see if we could check in. Lizzie went in and came out with a frown on her face. With time to spare, we decided to go and visit the Dairy Queen we passed at the beginning of town. Just gotta love DQ. After DQ we came back and were then able to check in to hour beach house.
We unpacked and ordered two pizzas from Ninos pizza, since Lizzy had eaten there on a prior trip. Very good pizza. Inspite of the eagerness to go back to the beach, we were way too tired to go to the beach again. Lizzy and I went to bed about 9pm.
The next day, Sunday, we got to the beach at about 1030am- 1pm, then again for several hours after 5pm. Moderate waves. Lizzy made hamburgers.
Monday began the over cast weather. Monday thru Wed it was over cast, but inspite of the weather, we made it to the beach every day atleast one time if not twice.
Monday afternoon when the kids initially went to the beach without us, Lizzie and I went shopping. I was looking for some NewSkin for a hole that was developing in my foot. Once we located the towns pharmacy, I discovered they were out of it, so we headed over to the hardware store for the next best thing, Duct tape.
We also stopped off at Deep Blue gift shop and bought gifts for those who did not come and a few for those who did. I got a new swim suit because the only one I had was for a swimming pool, and the mesh netting served to collect the granular ocean sand. Both times I wore it, when taking the suit off, I deposited atleast a pound of debris on the floor. This also made for some extreme discomfort for me...ouchy.
After the hardware store, Lizzy and I stopped for lunch at Toppers Pizza and Pasta. Lizzie had a black olive onion personal pan pizza. I had a chicken cheese steak, that was not a Philly Cheese steak, but it was quite delicious in its own right. Not Norristown bread, but still quite good. I would eat it again.
The best day of the week for the beach while we were there, I would have to say was Friday. It was in the mid to high 80's, and very calm. Upon waking in the Am there was not a cloud in the sky. The waves at the beach were coming in at a decent rate, atleast good enough for a few good bodyboard rides. More than one wave was able to slam me down into the sandy beach. Also noticed a number of people riding skim boards into the waves.
We had bought a skim board at Connors Supermarket, a grocery store located in Buxton for $8-quite a bargain. Too bad none of us could use it. I guess we gave up a little to easily. I for one was not even able to get on it. Perhaps next time I will take some lessons. Not sure I want to take skim board lessons. Pretty sure I would rather take regular surfing lessons.
We did manage to dine at several restaurants while vacationing with the crew.
- The first other than Sonic or Dairy Queen(yes there is a DQ) was Topper's Pizza and Pasta were Lizzie and I had lunch. Nice place that had a cool picture that Lizzie liked.
- Mack Daddy's Seafood Grill& Raw Bar was the next place we visited. Actually took the whole gang out here for dinner one night. They put down a sheet of paper that covers the whole table, so the kids were able to let their creative juices flow. Should have gotten some pics of their creations. So Mack Daddy's gets a thumbs up for a family type atmosphere. Lizzie and I woulld also give them a thumbs up for their wine selection. The Red Truck wine was quite tasty, so much so that we got a bottle at the Village Grocery Store. All of the food was awsome, to include the frog legg apetizer and the deserts. Loved the Creme Brule.
- We also had pizza from Nino's Pizza, since Lizzie had eaten there before.
- We also ate pizza again at Island Pizza and Steam Bar located in Waves in the St. Waves Plaza. Great gormet pizza. The waitress we had here, had been working at Mack Daddy's the previous night when we were there. She said she remembered us and that they had saved one of the kids drawings and put on the wall. Will have to get them to send me a pic of it.
- Uncle Eddy's Frozen Custard in Buxton. Lizzie and I ate here twice. Once with the kids and once without. They have this one treat that is like a blizzard, but not a blizzard. You can get as many ingredients in it as you would like.
- Fat Cat Ice Cream in Avon.
We really did not eat out that much. With six of us, it became very expensive to eat out. We manly ate pre planned meals. This was ideal since our house came with a complete kitchen.